Compassionate Oklahoma City Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys
Lawyers fight nursing home negligence across Oklahoma
When we place a loved one in a nursing home or long-term care facility, we trust that they will be treated hospitably and with dignity and respect. However, nursing home staff and facility management may betray that trust by neglecting and abusing the people they’re supposed to care for. At Van Meter Law Firm in Oklahoma City, we represent families facing these tragic situations and provide the legal counsel they need to win just compensation through personal injury claims.
Helping families recognize the signs of nursing home abuse and neglect
Often it is up to loved ones to spot the signs of possible mistreatment of a nursing home or assisted living facility resident. Be on the lookout for changes in your loved one’s physical appearance and behavior. Being observant to their living conditions and the care they appear to be receiving when you visit them can be key to uncovering possible wrongdoing, such as:
- Physical abuse — Look for wounds, bruises, burn marks, skin discoloration and other abnormalities that could be the results of physical mistreatment. Ask the caretaker, and if the explanation is not adequate, consider it a red flag.
- Emotional abuse — Nursing home staff, behind closed doors, sometimes threaten and berate residents and inflict other types of emotional harm. Your loved one may experience behavioral changes as a result, perhaps becoming withdrawn or, conversely, very agitated.
- Neglect — Common signs of nursing home neglect are bedsores, malnutrition, weight loss, poor hygiene and unexplained bruising, pain and malformation to certain parts of the body. Unclean bedding and clothing are also warning signs that should be taken seriously.
At Van Meter Law Firm, we are responsive to complaints about mistreatment of loved ones by nursing home staff. We know to apply the proper legal remedies to check abuse and neglect and to hold the facilities accountable.
Lawyers knowledgeable in Oklahoma law on recovery of damages
Oklahoma’s Nursing Home Care Act allows residents or their families or guardians to bring lawsuits against care facilities that violate a resident’s rights in any number of ways, including abuse and neglect. If violations are proved, the patient may be entitled to compensation for:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional and mental anguish
- Current and future medical bills
- Punitive damages in cases of willful or reckless disregard of patients’ rights
In addition to money damages, a successful plaintiff may recover the costs of the lawsuit, including attorneys’ fees. We are experienced in building successful cases that put a stop to mistreatment and hold the facility responsible for the harm inflicted. This also includes claims of misappropriation of the patient’s funds.
Our Oklahoma City nursing home abuse lawyers are here to help
If you or your loved one has been mistreated in a nursing home, the lawyers of Van Meter Law Firm in Oklahoma City can assist you in seeking justice and compensation. To speak with an attorney in a private consultation, please call 405-400-8215 or contact us online anytime.